We are currently looking for a dynamic, innovative, and motivated individual to join the Research and Development Department.
The R&D team creates innovative air traffic management solutions to meet future business needs. We have a strong record of taking ideas from concept to implementation, integrating new types of aircraft through the creation of a safe and efficient future aviation system, using advanced digital technologies and AI.
The ideal candidate will have expertise in machine learning for autonomous systems, particularly in the areas of sensor and data processing for navigation, and an understanding of large data environments.
You will work with academic, business, and aviation stakeholders to deliver cutting-edge research projects, developing future digital ATC technology and using data to create virtual replicas of physical systems. You will work on developing a digital Air Traffic Management model using machine learning and AI to analyse data for new air mobility systems, such as electric Vertical Take-Off and Landing (eVTOL) vehicles.
Joining a cross-disciplinary, inclusive team you will work in a stimulating environment that fosters growth and professional development.
You will be:
- Developing future air traffic control tools and concepts to support NATS operation, within in a multi-disciplinary team delivering industry leading research projects through data driven analysis
- Using a range of research methods for concept development, conduct computational modelling, undertake data-driven analysis and report on insights across multiple projects
- Engaging with subject matter experts to develop requirements for tools and concepts that shape the future of Air Traffic Management
- Creating proof of concept and future air traffic control algorithms and models. You will be confident working on self-guided and team-based research projects (internal and external partners) and effectively communicating technical and non-technical results to stakeholders
- A good honours degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering, Computing, or Mathematics related subject is essential; post-graduate degree and/or related experience preferred
- Demonstrate knowledge of scientific, technical, and analytical techniques
- Analytical thought process and methodical approach to solving complex problems
- Experience in large data manipulation and analysis
- Evidence of high-level programming to support data driven analysis/model development (Python / R preferred)
- Ability to use a range of communication techniques to report results to stakeholders
Additional Vacancy Information:
In addition to a competitive salary that’s regularly reviewed, NATS offers an excellent range of benefits which includes a company performance related pay scheme, voluntary benefits and retail discounts, generous leave entitlement and a market-leading defined contribution pension scheme. Find out more here.
NATS have adopted agile working to provide greater flexibility and increased choice over working arrangements, with the opportunity for this role to work in our modern office facilities as well as remotely. We also welcome discussions on flexible and part-time working arrangements.
If you share our passion to advance aviation and keep the skies safe – we would like to hear from you whatever your age, sex, race, faith, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, visible or invisible disability. Individuals that bring different perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds help us be at the forefront of our industry.
NATS is the UK’s leading air navigation service provider, handling over 2 million flights each year. It provides air traffic control services from two control centres supporting airports all around the UK, as well as a wide range of commercial solutions to over 30 countries internationally. Our people are at the heart of our purpose to advance aviation and keep the skies safe.