Astra’s mission is to Improve Life on Earth from Space® by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Today, Astra offers one of the lowest cost-per-launch dedicated orbital launch services of any operational launch provider in the world, and one of the industry’s first flight-proven electric propulsion systems for satellites, Astra Spacecraft Engine™. Astra delivered its first commercial launch to low Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after it was founded in 2016. Astra (NASDAQ: ASTR) was the first space launch company to be publicly traded on Nasdaq.The OpportunityThe Director of Global Supply Chain will be responsible for building and leading the Astra global supply team, implement sourcing strategies, create and drive best practices, leveling up the supply chain function overall. You embrace the demand changes in the global supply chain, quickly respond to these changes in a manner that minimizes cost, working capital, and customer delivery risk.The global supply chain team supports a variety of departments from direct material purchasing for our two product lines, launch services and space products, to R&D, Indirect Materials, Inventory/Logistics, and new product introduction through production ramp. Our ideal candidate will have experience in building a high performing team.This position typically supervises personnel responsible for detailed production planning and global supply chain management functions. The exact reporting relationships and number of employees supervised change based on business needs and organization design.This position reports to the VP of Operations.How You’ll Fulfill Your Mission
- Lead a team of supply chain professionals responsible for divisional sourcing needs to drive supplier strategy towards aggressive delivery timelines, cost improvements, and performance targets.
- Lead and manage the global supply chain team, including setting structure, identifying appropriate talent, developing job descriptions, objectives, and performance goals.
- Develop and implement the sourcing strategy for the divisions in scope including supplier and market analysis, cost and forecast modeling, supplier negotiations, contract management, supplier performance management, and/or make vs buy.
- Influence the organization at executive levels to make sound decisions on supplier strategy and business development direction.
- Coordinate and partner at “C suite” level at our suppliers and internal customers to deliver best practices and communications.
- Partner with cross-functional departments like Operations, Quality, Engineering, Accounting/Finance, and others to evolve the company wide manufacturing and supplier base within divisional remit for sustainable growth and results.
- Own the expansion and simplification of supplier base within divisional remit into new locations/markets to ensure best in class results while minimizing risk.
- Continuously improve compliance and performance of supplier base.
- Support companywide initiatives to develop and implement decision support and data systems to enhance supply chain decision making and performance monitoring.
- Foster communication and teamwork within and across organizational boundaries.
- Conduct periodic supplier site visits to maintain business understanding and monitor changes.
- Other duties may be assigned as required.
- 8+ years of supply chain experience for complex, hardware products for both direct and indirect spend management, and 5+ years of managing, leading people
- Experience managing commodities and strategic sourcing teams in a manufacturing environment
- Track record of managing complex technology projects with aggressive schedules and scarce resources
- Experience negotiating supplier pricing, forecasting, and supply agreements
- Experience developing, negotiating, and implementing large commercial contracts
- In-depth knowledge of Sourcing Engineering Supplies & Services with a focus on quality
- Familiarity with CAPEX/Equipment sourcing
- Diverse global sourcing / procurement experience a must
- Proven experience in operating in a dynamic work environment – able to take up/lead complex and strategic projects
- Build trusting relationships with Executives, VP levels at Astra and CEO level at our supplier base
- Proven ability to lead and influence senior leaders; ability to communicate across all levels of management including executive leadership level
- BS/MS in engineering, business administration, or other related technical field
- Experience with Coupa, Odoo, Microsoft Dynamics, Certa, and MRP
- MBA desired
- Experience sourcing, procuring complex parts in a low-volume manufacturing environment under tight deadlines
$210,000 - $250,000 a yearThe stated compensation range reflects only the targeted base salary range in the San Francisco Bay Area and excludes additional earnings such as bonus, equity, and benefits. If your salary requirements fall outside of the range, we still encourage you to apply.ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.