The Role of the Head of Powertrain Systems will lead as the subject matter expert for powertrain systems – electric propulsion, motor control, power distribution, Energy Storage System (ESS)
THE JOB IN 2 BULLETS
- Leader and subject matter expert for powertrain systems – electric propulsion, motor control, power distribution, Energy Storage System (ESS)
- Manage the powertrain systems team (including sub-contractors) - supervising, hiring, and mentoring, building out a best-in-class team
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Own the aircraft powertrain from the battery cell to the tip of the rotor.
- Manage the powertrain systems team (including sub-contractors) - supervising, hiring, and mentoring.
- Lead the air vehicle powertrain development activities.
- Develop the powertrain requirements to meet the aircraft’s performance, control, and safety objectives.
- Communicate and allocate requirements to the other departments to meet the design goals.
- Technically manage external suppliers to meet the powertrain components’ specifications.
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES + KEY QUALIFICATIONS EXPECTED FOR THIS ROLE
- 3-5 years of practical aviation industry experience in electric propulsion, power distribution, and energy storage (battery) systems development
- Comprehensive understanding of electric propulsion unit (motor & controller) physics, dynamics, and performance
- Experience with brushless DC motors and motors controllers (ESCs/Inverters) design/integration
- Experience with Energy Storage Systems (ESS) design/integration
- Experience with rotor/propeller integration
- Comprehensive understanding of all aspects of powertrain development – mechanical, electrical, thermal management, control and algorithms, performance, cell chemistry, etc.
- Experience in preliminary design and sizing of an aircraft powertrain
- Comprehensive understanding of coupled ESS-ESC-motor dynamics
- Familiarization with powertrain regulations and standards (Part 33, part 35, 14 CFR § 23.2430, etc.)
- Experience in certification and prior interactions with certification authorities
- Team-working attitude
- Degree in electrical, mechanical, or aerospace engineering
- Ability to work harmoniously in a high-performance team environment.
- Capability to operate in a collaborative and cross-functional environment.
- Excellent oral/written communication skills
At Manna, our mission is to improve the world by making high-speed suburban deliveries affordable, green, and safe. We design and build our own aviation-grade drones to deliver food and other items directly from restaurants, centralized kitchens, and local stores to consumers’ homes. With a widely dispersed workforce across many sites, you will be joining a company with a great culture for collaboration, lots of learning, and even more fun!